WHO IS A VETERAN?
PREPARED BY MS SVAB
(As defined by Title 38, United States Code)
- A person who served on full time (federal/10 USC) active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces, other than active duty for training, and was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable.
- Those who enlisted in the military after September 7, 1980, and officers commissioned or who entered active military service after October 16, 1981, must have completed two years of continuous active duty or, in the case of Guard and Reserve, completed the full period for which they were called or ordered to (federal/10 USC) active duty.
- Duty for the sole purpose of accession (basic training, technical training, etc) into the National Guard or Reserve or service exclusively under 32 USC (National Guard) are not qualifying under 38USC.
- An individual who died while serving on active duty, or was disabled or died from a disease or injury incurred or aggravated in the line of duty while performing active duty for training or inactive duty training.
- Certain members of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (formerly the Coast and Geodetic Survey) and the Regular or Reserve Corps of the Public Health Service; must be verified on case by case basis.
- Certain Members of the United States Merchant Marine (WW II); must be verified on case by case basis.
**The situations listed above are the most common. Each individual (situation) is distinct and unique and must be verified.